Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shots & Vaccinations: Staying Healthy for Haitian Health Care

I've been feeling so much momentum in preparing for my medical mission to Montrouis, Haiti! My excitement is finally translating into action -- I'm physically preparing for the month and a half I'll be spending with at Canaan's clinic and orphanage.

Thanks so much for your positive response to my trip! I'm encouraged by the support, prayers, donations and e-mails I've been receiving from family and friends. I still have a lot of funds to raise, but I know that the stress is worth everything--working at the orphanage, the health clinic, and possibly gathering research on cross-cultural health care in the context of medical missions for my honors college thesis in the field of medical anthropology. The image (top right) is from Canaan's clinic.

Here's an update on medications, shots and vaccinations for international travel. I hope this information is helpful and informative for those considering medical missions:

I made an appointment at LSU's student health clinic with one of the physicians to discuss prescriptions for anti-malarial drugs. I was having trouble finding a place in Baton Rouge that could answer my questions about travel medicine, but sure enough, LSU has a fairly extensive immunization clinic that carries all of the shots I need. I'm not sure if the University will have anti-malarial drugs, but I'm sure I'll be able to fill my prescription somewhere before taking off in July.


Since I'll be in Haiti for an extended length of time, I think the most suitable anti-malarial medication would be the Chloroquine 500mg, which can be taken by mouth once a week. I would need to start a week before the trip, and continue it four weeks post-Haiti, which totals 11 pills (as opposed to doxycycline 100mg, which I would have to take daily during my trip and four weeks after)! I can't even remember to take my vitamins every day, so the once-a-week deal seems perfect.

As with many international travelers, I am required to be vaccinated against Hepatitis A (a series of shots), Hepatitis B and typhus. Luckily, the yellow fever vaccine is not necessary for travelers to Haiti. LSU offers student pricing per shot, which is also a huge relief (about $90 for the Hep. A 3-shot series, $35 for Hep. B and $48 for the typhus). This is one thing that I didn't budget for, but in hindsight it's necessary to be prepared for anything. After dealing with mono for months last semester, I'm still well aware of what happens when a health care provider is careless with her own health.

Other over-the-counter drugs recommended for Haiti include tylenol/motrin, antihistamine (for itching/sleeping), immodium AD (which saved my life while backpacking through France), and allergy medication. Canaan suggests taking one to two pepto bismal tablets three times a day while in Montrouis to decrease the chance of a stomach or intestinal infection . Apparently, stool and tongue turns black when you take this much pepto... That doesn't sound to appealing, so I'm going to look for an alternative to that advice. Perhaps some healthy doses or probiotics will work instead.

On a different note, I have the plane ticket times/dates narrowed down! I still have some more money to save and fund-raise until I'm able to forward my official trip itinerary to Canaan. Hopefully I will be able to purchase the ticket before gas prices rocket upward again!

3/31: With your help, we've raised $250 towards my fundraising goal!



Lot's of love! Thank you for keeping in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment