Sunday, April 3, 2011

Missionary Account: Making Tax Deductible Donations to Canaan Christian Community

Canaan Christian Community is a charitable organization (IRS 501 c3) which means your donations are tax deductible.

To cover all my lodging, food, and any other expenses living at Canaan in Montrouis this summer, I need to raise $15.00 per day. I will be in Haiti for 37 days, which is $555.00. Canaan can start a "missionary account," which allows donations to be made out to Canaan, but used in my name to go strictly towards my living expenses.

On the downside, this amount does not cover the majority of my costs. In fact, I still have money to raise separate from Canaan to cover the cost of travel to Haiti and other trip expenses such as immunizations and anti-malarial medications, which will not be covered in the tax-deductible donations. (I unfortunately am not registered with the IRS as a non-profit organization). I am so grateful for everyone who is able to generously donate towards those outside expenses since I am traveling alone and without an umbrella organization for the medical mission.

However, I understand it's not for everyone. Here's what you can do to help AND get a tax deduction:

1. For a tax-deductible donation, please make the check out towards Canaan Christian Community.

2. Write Missionary Account: Brianna Piche in the memo line to clarify.

3. Please send the check to my address. I will send all the checks to Canaan together along with supplies I collect before the trip. (For privacy reasons, I will not put my address on the internet. Please send me an e-mail and I will forward you my mailing address).

4. Feel great: You just made my medical mission possible! Plus, now you can count your donation as a tax exemption!

5. If you would prefer to donate online directly to Canaan, please click here to access Canaan's Paypal donation account. The money will not go towards my missionary account nor my trip expenses, but there are so many beautiful ways Canaan can use your donation to help their children at the orphanage, operate their health clinic, and ultimately aid the Montrouis community.

As always, I'm interested to hear from you so please feel free to leave any comments or questions or send me an e-mail! Thank you for your prayers, support, and happy donating.


No comments:

Post a Comment