Friday, July 15, 2011

Noise & peace: Voices of Montrouis and… Justin Bieber



Hilarious fact: The kids at the orphanage love Justin Bieber.

As I’m typing, there’s a boyish chorus of “baby, baby, baby ohhh…” punctuating the thunderclaps from the steps of the nursery. Robyn, a fellow volunteer, said some Canaanites even made up a dance to his Lonely Girl album. They may not care much for Harry Potter (today I’m missing the final installment!), but pre-adolescent Haitians are pumped about the Biebs.

I want it to rain today; the hillside next to the clinic is looking sullen and dry. Seeing the rainclouds envelope the mountains in velvet mist is breathtaking— a purple thumbprint of clouds.

I constantly feel like I’m seeing Haiti through a National Geographic magazine. Vibrant cascading blue, hazy and sharp, hungry and filling.

Life here is never quiet, between the dogs and children and trucks bumbling by. Singing fills spare silence. The women in the nursery clap their hands and hum to the babies. The Haitian radio loops techno, pop, Creole gospel songs and classical Spanish for hours at a time, mostly talking and taking callers with poor connections and chanting political jargon like an auctioneer (the DJ typically shouts “Hallo? HALLO?!” rather obnoxiously over the songs before any introductions are made).

Last night, a Haitian man sat shirtless on the hill above Canaan, shouting and singing prayers for hours into the evening. The rats scratch in the ceiling above my bunk. The rooster cackles.
                                                                                                              
I took vitals and helped triage patients for an hour, and spent the rest of this morning and after lunch filing paperwork and entering patient data onto the receptionist’s laptop. The system is disorganized and there were several files missing. It’s tedious to dig up files for returning patients and then file the mounds from the day, especially because I find a paper in the incorrect place for every new chart I file. According to Elsie, who runs the clinic, the filing system is an ongoing project. With an average of 80 patients a day, it is constantly backed up.

A few pathetic chickens wandered into the clinic. It was amusing to watching them strut lethargically between patients as if they, too, were waiting for the doctor.

The staff at the clinic is under tremendous stress because the medicine donations from doctors in the states have not come in for a few months. There are no more antibiotics left to prescribe to patients, so Elsie has been purchasing medicine with her personal money at the U.S. Embassy.

For an appointment at the clinic, people pay 75 goudes, about $2, USD. They receive free medicine to treat their ailment as long as the medicine is stocked. The clinic is also out of a variety of standard tests, including HIV. The parasite and urine screenings are the only tests remaining.

As I walked up the hill separating the Canaan property and the clinic, confident boys demanding chocolate and soccer balls in French. They called me Caroline, the name of the full-time Mamba clinic director, also blonde, who is away on vacation. Je ne pas du chocolate… I felt guilty for refusing them because they were playing soccer with soiled plastic containers, but I suppose the mission teams that cycle through each month supply them with toys, candy and chewing gum.

My eyes are getting heavy and I’m enjoying my lazy Friday evening. There’s much more down time than I ever expected, but time seems to run less urgently in Haiti. No one seems to stress — it’s a refreshing attitude that’s seeping deliciously under my skin. Speaking of refreshing, we finally have water in our house. I took my first shower this afternoon, although the humidity had me sweating before I pulled my clothes back on.

There’s an obese black lab, one of Pastor Henry’s dogs, throwing up outside my window, and a couple puppies toddling in the bushes. I miss cuddling my own puppy, knowing these crusty mutts aren’t for loving, but for safety and vermin control.


No comments:

Post a Comment