Thursday, July 7, 2011

Packing Light: Long-term medical mission work in Haiti

Backpacking at Mont St. Michel in France.
Everything I brought to Europe for the
winter in 2010 fit in my Osprey pack.
Six days left until I'm on a plane to Haiti. Fundraising put me at exactly where I needed to be -- $3,000! St. Paul Lutheran Church donated the last $1,000 leg needed to cover trip costs. I'm elated and ready to work.

I have almost finished packing. I decided early on not to check any bags with plane changes/ long layovers. I spent last winter in France and Hungary with about 15 lbs in my backpack, including food, heavy wool coat, sturdy leather boots, travel books and lots of layers. It saved a ton of money when I flew on the budget airlines (RyanAir and EasyJet), which all charge for checked bags.

My Osprey Aura 50 backpack is just under 3,000 cubic inches, but cinches down to fit into a small overhead compartment. It's much lighter than my old Osprey pack, which was great for long treks in my Girl Scouting days but not ideal for light traveling.

In Haiti, the average summer temperature ranges from 77 to 95 degrees, so I'm going to need less layers and lighter fabrics. My old apartment did not have reliable air conditioning, but I've been spoiled by central air after weeks of house sitting... It's time to get used to the heat again!

Since Canaan requires modest female clothing (no shorts), I found some breezy cotton summer skirts at Goodwill for less than $7 a piece. Everything fits in my pack with plenty of room left over--I'm shooting for less weight than my trip to Europe. However, the extra weight of bed linens is pushing me past my desired pack weight.

I was originally only going to bring 2 outfits to alternate, but I've since changed my mind. I'm not sure how easy it will be to do laundry. I want to be respectful of the locals and dress neatly. Hygiene is a priority for Haitians (and myself), so I am packing heavier than I would for 5 weeks in Colorado back-country. Plus, I plan to leave the majority of my clothes as donations to Canaan.

Here's my packing list for 5 weeks in Montrouis, Haiti (July-August). 
Note: This list works for longer trips as well. 

Clothes/Linens:
4 long cotton skirts from Goodwill (nicer one for church/ traveling)
6 cotton t-shirts
2 white undershirts
1 pair Patagonia baggie shorts for the beach
1 tank-top for weekend lounging
1 pair comfy socks
PJs (yoga pants and a comfy shirt)
Undergarments (undies/bra)
Bathing suit
Bandana & hair stuff
Microfiber camp towel
Twin sheets (& my tiny pillow splurge)
Keen closed-toe Whisper Sandals
Chacos

Toiletries:
Toothpaste/ Toothbrush
All-natural toothpaste
Hand sanitizer
Baking Soda Deodorant (baking soda also relieves itching)
Sunscreen
Aloe Vera Oil (for burns, bug bites & dry skin)
Small Mosquito Repellant with Deet & a larger all-natural bug repellant to dilute
Doxycycline/ antibiotics (An anti-Malaria Rx)
Misc. First Aid items (Neosporin, Benadryl, headache medicine & probiotic digestive aids)

Other:
Passport
List of important phone numbers, copy of passport
Mosquito net
Laptop
Canon Rebel camera
Small battery-operated fan
Laundry Line
2 Water bottles
Headlamp
Ear plugs
Book
Bible
Journal & pen
iPod
Cords/ chargers/ batteries for gadgets

Traveling with contact lenses is a hassle, so I'm just going to stick to wearing my glasses the entire trip. I can bring my case/ back up pair and not have to worry about contact lens case, disinfectant & cleaning fluid, eye drops because contacts irritate my eyes, and replacement lenses. That's another pound or two of gear! The only downside is that I'll have to ditch my non-prescription sunglasses from my pack and rely on sunscreen and a bandana/hat for sun protection

It seems like a lot of stuff listed out, but the little items pack into a very small space. Everything fits in my backpack! Here's a slideshow of the items I'm bringing. The picture with my toiletries was deleted on accident, so another will be posted soon! Enjoy.




Thanks for checking out my blog, for your support and for helping my fundraising efforts be such a success! Please feel free to offer your packing advice and any tips for how I can pare down more!

Love.

UPDATE: One of the wonderful nurses at Canaan has asked me to bring a toaster oven to her new home in Montrouis. (It costs around $39 new at Walmart versus $100 in Haiti with shipping.) Since my backpack is my carry-on, I can take toaster oven as my one free checked bag. Perfect! Light packing pays off.

4 comments:

  1. Honey, I am a proud papa beaming from cheek to cheek as I read your latest packing for Haiti blog. You have all the bases covered. I pray for your safety and ask God to bless you travels and make you safe. The good you do in a brief month will last a lifetime to those you touch in Haiti. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks LIke you're prepared! Love the blog and will be looking forward to seeing everything going on once you get there! So proud of you! xo, Love you - Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you! Looks like you have everything pared down to the essentials. Will be a great experiment for your new minimalist approach to life:) good luck. I have no doubts that your life will change after this and that you will make contributions that will change others lives for the better. You are an amazing person. I wish there were more people like you in the world. I look forward to reading more of your blog as you can post them while in Haiti. I will be praying for your safety but know you will have a great experience. Thank you for caring so much about the people of the world who could use your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing a wonderful thing! I wish you much success. Stay healthy and be safe!

    Love from your friends in Concord, MA

    ReplyDelete