Thursday, March 22, 2012

10-Step Wardrobe Declutter for College Students

RETURN TO THRIFTY ROOTS

My mom and dad are frugal, and clothes beyond a couple shirts and a pair of jeans were considered luxuries growing up. My parents rarely shop for clothing and can fit their combined minimalist wardrobes in a small suitcase.

Though I admire my parents' thriftiness today, in junior high school, I pined for my friends' endless wardrobes and shopping sprees. Some refused to wear the same outfit twice, and I was caught up in the glamour of "new" after years of hand-me-downs.

As soon as I started earning money in high school, I rebelled by spending every single cent of my earnings on brand names and labels.

Puppies are very helpful when looking for ways to declutter clothing and hangers.
(Athena, German shepherd, 19 weeks)
I used to love shopping for new clothes. Retail therapy was my heroin.

I was driven by quantity over quality under the delusion that I needed choices in my closet. Rationalized needing another grey sweater or another pair of tennis shoes. I chased the trends. My consumption was anything but minimalist. It was a rush dumping my new purchases on my bed, often on super clearance at Nordstrom Rack or from Forever21.

But none of my clothes matched or even fit well. The clearance T-s shrank in the wash, the jeans sagged and gaped in all the wrong places. Most wouldn't survive the first washing, yet still found a place in my overflowing closet or stuffed in a dresser drawer. When I'd open my closet the next week, I'd again have "nothing" to wear.

Overconsumption. Then repeat. It's a cycle in which our culture thrives. But what are the implications?

SHOPPING INTO DEBT

Worse than having nothing flattering or matching that I could throw together without valuable morning minutes, my clothes were causing me financial turmoil. By my freshman year of college, I began over drafting my bank account as my food expenses competed with my trips to the TJ Maxx clearance racks. With a meager student-worker income, I was using student loans, money I was going to have to work hard and save to pay back after graduation, to support my shopping addiction and needed out.

PARING DOWN AND DRESSING WELL

Inspired by blogs like miss minimalist and her 10-item wardrobe and Courtney Carver's Project 333 from Be More With Less, I have been paring down on my wardrobe for several months. A total of 8 years of accumulation. At first, my decluttering efforts were painful and difficult as I faced my financial mistakes--did I really spend $60 on a blouse that I always returned to the hanger? $200 on that "investment" Anthropologie dress I wore once and didn't feel pretty in?

After countless trips to Goodwill and a costly wake up call, I am finally down to quality clothes I love.

By narrowing down my color palate to blues, browns, blacks and purples, I am aiming to create capsule wardrobe, where a minimal amount of quality pieces interchangeable mix and match.

If you declutter your wardrobe now, you can see and appreciate what you do wear, find what flatters you, save money by spending mindfully, and start dressing for success. Start here:

10-STEP WARDROBE DECLUTTER FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS


1. Get rid of anything you haven't worn in 3 months (even if it still has tags). You can overlook seasonal clothing for now, but be honest with yourself--are you really going to wear that lime green peacoat next fall? Chances are, you're not going to need the clothes you are saving for later as a college and graduate student. Plus, with less clothes, laundry day will be a breeze and you'll save money and time. Throw out anything with holes or stains, or recycle into a rag for cleaning. As a senior in college, I keep one business casual outfit and interview suit on hand for career fairs, interviews and internships. Any more than that is generally unneccesary for a college or graduate student.

2. Donate anything you don't have a specific occasion for. Gold sequined formal dress, I'm talking to you. Unless you're planning on wearing the outfit for an event. Get rid of any "maybes" or "just in case" items. You can borrow a formal dress or outfit if the need arises. If you're saving something for an event more than a year away, consider loaning it out to someone who can use it in the meantime and reclaim that precious closet space. You can also sell new and higher-ticket clothing items if you're willing to take the time to list it on Ebay, or a free service like Craigslist.

3. Do you love it? If the answer is "no," it needs to go. Toss anything you feel insecure in. Does it hurt you/ itch you/ make you feel icky? If you aren't comfortable wearing it all day and have to change, give it the boot. Do you feel frumpy in your sweatpants? Toss. Can't walk in those shoes for an extended period of time? Toss those wedges if they notoriously cause bloody blisters. They might fit someone else better, so don't hoard something someone else might need. To get over the pain of tossing out that precious spent cash, imagine the smile on a Goodwill customer's face when they discover it's perfect for them.

4. Declutter clothes that don't express your true identity. No one really cares what you wear. Stop dressing to be someone you're not. Stop dressing to impress people who aren't already impressed with your personality. In college or graduate school, most of us don't have the same wardrobe requirements as others with a 9-5 job, so consider the clothes that make you most comfortable while allowing you to look put together. Do you live in your University hoodies and sweats? Declutter those button-ups you never touch. Not a partier? Get rid of all those flirty tops and mini skirts unless you wear them regularly or can repurpose them for a more casual outfit. When I decluttered, I had heaps of tight-fitting outfits in case I ever went dancing or clubbing. (Turns out, I'm perfectly happy to go to the bar in jeans and a v-neck, which also happens to be my daily uniform. I'd rather walk my dog and read on a Friday night anyways!)

5. Count everything you have. So once you've done the first 4 decluttering steps, it's important to assess what you already have. Numbers can be enlightening. For example, if you know you have 5 good pairs of jeans, you'll be less likely to splurge on duplicates you don't need. Count every shirt, pair of shoes, and sweater in your closet and/ or dresser. Even count your socks.

6. If you buy something new, get rid of something else. Follow Leo Babauta's minimalist philosophy of one in, one out. If you still can't quit the shopping bug or need to replace an article in your wardrobe, you have to pare down on another. This prevents overflowing dresser drawers and an overflowing closet with nothing to wear.

7. Stay away from clearance racks to avoid the temptation of clothes you don't need. Of course if you need to replace an item, first go to your local thrift or second-hand clothes store for more sustainable shopping. I've found some gems at my local Goodwill. Only buy clearance if the item is good quality, flatters your body, and matches something you already have.

8. Shop mindfully. For your health and the environment, avoid cheap synthetic fabrics that are seeped in chemicals. Consider cost per wear and be willing to buy one quality item, such as a wool, cotton or cashmere sweater over multiple synthetic imitations in acrylic or rayon. Even better, when you have to buy new, purchase clothes made sustainably and locally out of organic fabrics. Be an informed consumer and look for "Made in USA" tags and be conscious of the companies that sell clothes made in sweat shops. When making clothing purchases, be sure to bring your own shopping bags and say no to plastic or paper.

9. Stop mindless consuming. I challenge you to be content with what you already have & "shop" your closet. Put yourself on a spending freeze until your pare down to your essentials. Pick your favorites and cut out the rest. When you start recognizing the pieces you love to wear and turn to every week, a decluttered closet will save you time and money because you'll be more content with what you have.

10. Build a capsule wardrobe. Only keep clothes that can be mixed and matched to create a variety of outfits and styles. The capsule wardrobe uses a handful of quality "key" pieces to build versatile looks. When you wear clothes that look great, you wont need to chase trends for fleeting complements--you'll always look put together. I have decluttered 80% of my wardrobe but am still seeking new opportunities to pare down and solidify the items that create my style and flatter my shape and skin tone. I love variety, and by creating a capsule wardrobe, most of my clothes match and can be dressed up or down depending on the accessories with a minimal amount of pieces.



Do you have any tips for building a minimalist wardrobe and decluttering? Please share in the comments section!

1 comment: