Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sustainable, minimalist menstruation: Reduce waste and have a happier period

Disclaimer: This post is about that time of the month and not for the faint of heart. I believe women should reclaim and celebrate their menstruation, and this article is for frugal women looking for sustainable alternatives to conventional throw-away products.
***
Photo credit: Health Bitch Daily
POISONING OUR PERIODS

Menstruation for me has always been heavy and painful. After countless embarrassing tampon leaks, allergic reactions to pads and debilitating cramping, my periods were wearing me out.

Not only that, but I discovered that sanitary products are brimming with poison.


About 99% of convention tampons and pads contain toxic chemicals like chlorine-treated cotton/ rayon fibers that produce dioxins, a carcinogenic by-product leached by chlorine linked to breast and other cancers, birth defects and reproductive disorders.

Other ingredients include polysorbate 20, a mildly toxic chemical found in everything from food to cosmetics that has been linked to skin irritation (why would you put a skin irritant in something destined for your vagina? Ick!) and cancerous tumors in mice. Products labeled "fragrance" often contain phthalates, which are suspected hormone disruptors and banned in Europe.

Perhaps my irregular periods were also being influenced by the chemicals in my menstrual products. After I'd use them, they'd follow the trash to the landfill, creating more waste and chemical leaking.

Terrible for my body, harmful for the earth.

Here are some sustainable, healthy alternatives I love, perfect for women with a frugal budget. As a minimalist, it's important to minimize the toxins entering your body through food, clothing, your environment, medicine and sanitary products like tampons and toilet paper.

It may cost more short-term to purchase natural, organic products, but you're paying for long-term health benefits.

TAMPONS NO MORE: MENSTRUAL CUPS


My brand-new trusty Moon cup, size B, for a very happy, minimalist period.
I never have to buy a conventional tampon or pad again.


I have been using menstrual cups for about a year now and they are one of the best experiments I've tried in minimalism. They collect the fluid instead of absorbing it--check out this Wikipedia article on menstrual cups for a detailed run-down of how they work.


A menstrual cup typically costs $20-35 online, but pays for itself after a few months. It's made of medical grade silicon and can last several years with proper care.

I tried the more well-known Diva Cup that I bought with a coupon from Whole Foods, but lost it somewhere during my travels between Louisiana and Haiti. I recently purchased the Moon Cup, which I like much better and find more comfortable and protective than the Diva Cup.

I almost gave up menstrual cups after my first period trying the Diva Cup because there was definitely a learning curve. I struggled figuring out how to fold and insert without causing leaks or making a mess. In removal, I also had to learn to properly break the seal of the cup, otherwise was in lots of pain! Here's a video that helped me learn how to properly insert the cup.

It took me a few cycles before I was able to use the cup without leaks and mess, and now I won't ever go back. I can't even feel the cup when it's in place. Although I have abnormally heavy periods, I can go up to 12 hours without having to remove the Moon cup. Amazing stuff.

I think it's incredible seeing the changes in the cycle and the actual amount of fluid each period--something I never realized while using conventional pads and tampons. A woman loses an average of 3 tablespoons of blood each period.

ORGANIC COTTON WASHABLE PADS
Soft and comfy, these are my reusable organic cotton menstrual pads from Lohanstore.

For women who don't use tampons or prefer to mix-and-match tampons and pads, I would recommend trying reusable, washable organic cotton pads. I have always suffered from pad-induced rashes, but organic cotton pads are incredible soft and add less bulk than a conventional pad.

They're typically expensive, but sustainability pays off in the long run. When you think in terms of cost per use, they're a perfect, frugal alternative.

There are a bunch of great reusable organic cotton menstrual pads on Etsy that I'd recommend checking out. I love my organic pads from Loganstore--especially because they are low maintenance (just throw them in the laundry), and hang them in the sun to naturally bleach out any staining.

A HEALTHY UTERUS

Since you can reuse these producs, that means no tampons and pads in landfills! Bonus: There have never been any cases of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) caused by menstrual cups since they were first patented in the 1930s.

Better for the environment and your health.

HERBS FOR THOUGHT

I have been drinking oat straw and raspberry leaf tea for several months in an attempt to regulate my periods as well as taking vitex and black cohosh supplements. These "women's herbs" have been used for centuries to regulate hormones and menstrual cycles, as well as improve fertility. More on that next time.

Let me know in the comments if you've tried any sustainable menstrual products. Happy menstruating!

2 comments:

  1. everyone thinks we are crazy, but really, menstral cups are the shit. once you figure out how to get them in and out they are TONS better then tampons. my mom and sister thought i was discusting when I first told them. But they are the ones dealing with gross stuff. I'm not going back :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! After some initial apprehension, my brother's girlfriend switched over. I started giving them as gifts, which initially turns heads, but the feedback is undeniably positive! I think I've saved close to $150 on tampons and pads in just a year.

    ReplyDelete